Home to over 100 vendors, The Olympia Farmers Market is a vibrant community gathering space, beloved by our community, and is sustained in large part by an intangible relationship between the vendors and the community. We provide quality local goods sold by local people including seasonal fruits and vegetables, plant starts, cut flowers, seafoods, fresh and cured meats, baked goods, wine, condiments, confections, preserves, jewelry, woodworking, textiles, eight distinct restaurants, and many unique and artisanal goods.
The Olympia Farmers Market is unique in that it is one of the only vendor-owned and operated farmers markets in The State of Washington. The market is governed by a volunteer board of directors comprised of member-vendors and is funded primarily through vendor fees.
We are seeking an Operations Manager that shares our passion for farmers markets, small scale local agriculture, access to healthy foods, and community enrichment. We look forward to hiring an individual that is personable and enthusiastic about coordinating events. This is a new position at the Market that will continue work currently accomplished by present staff. The ideal candidate will be able to communicate effectively and develop meaningful relationships with vendors, staff, customers, the board of directors, and community partners.
To nourish our community, support small-scale local agriculture, and cultivate a healthy economy by providing a vibrant gathering place where growers, makers, and producers are empowered to offer direct access to quality goods and fresh food.
The Olympia Farmers Market is an Equal Opportunity Employer. OFM encourages individuals who are BIPOC and/or LGBT+ to join our team. We welcome applications from qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
The Olympia Farmers Market
Seeking Operations Manager
The Operations Manager is hired and supervised by the Market Director. This person is ultimately responsible for the day-to-day management of the Olympia Farmers Market and coordinates all public events and activities that happen on the Market site.
The person hired to fill this position will be required to perform the following responsibilities:
On-site Management Duties
· Oversees the placement of assigned stalls for Winter, High, and Holiday Seasons.
· Oversees the assignment of weekly roll call stalls during High Season.
· Record vendor daily attendance.
· Enforce policies that apply to the safety of vendors and patrons including smoking, pets, non-profit tabling, and busking.
· Enforce vendor policies related to designated stall spaces, parking, approved product line, and other policies in the Greenbook.
· Reports to Market Directors about day-to-day operations.
· Maintains relationships with musicians and works with Maintenance Assistant to provide support.
· Cross trains in all roles to support customer service and maintenance staff during the Market day.
Outreach & Events Duties
· Collaborate with Market Director and Marketing Committee to plan and implement events.
· Collaborate with Market Director and marketing contractor to create content for weekly newsletter and social media.
· Coordinates special events and activities that happen on Market days.
· Coordinates after-hour site rentals and events.
· Coordinates Craft Jury activities with Craft Liaison and Market Director.
· Coordinate with Market staff to attend new vendor site inspections.
· Attend all Board and Membership meetings.
· Record meeting minutes at monthly Board Meetings and ensure that approved and signed minutes are properly filed.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to resolve conflicts quickly and satisfactorily whether between vendors, staff, or customers.
· Outstanding customer service ethic to offer high quality experience to vendors, volunteers, community partners, and Market shoppers.
· Passionate about local small-scale agriculture and the role of farmers markets
· 2+ years experience employed at a farmers market, on a small-scale farm, as a market vendor, or on a market board of directors.
The Operations Manager is an hourly position starting at $25/hour. This position qualifies for health, dental, and vision insurance benefits, and a progressive paid vacation.
This is a permanent, full-time position with weekend hours required year-round with the majority of work hours coinciding with seasonal open hours of operation. Attendance at evening meetings and special events will be required as well as occasional work on holidays.
Priority deadline to apply is Friday, September 22, 2023. Applicants should provide their resume, references, and a cover letter explaining your qualifications and why you are passionate about farmers markets and local small-scale agriculture, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete applications, including those without a cover letter, will not be considered. Applicants proceeding to the interview stage will be notified by Friday, September 29, 2023. Applicants not proceeding to the next step may not be notified. The desired start date is Monday October 16, 2023.