Home to over 100 vendors, The Olympia Farmers Market offers seasonal fruits and vegetables, plant starts, cut flowers, seafoods, fresh and cured meats, baked goods, wine, condiments, confections, preserves, jewelry, woodworking, textiles, eight distinct restaurants, and many unique and artisanal goods.
With an estimated 400,000 customers per year and grossing over $5 million in sales, The Olympia Farmers Market is a bustling marketplace. With three distinct seasons, progressing from one day per week in January to four days per week during the height of our season, the market is open year-round, more than 150 days per year.
The Olympia Farmers Market is a cherished community gathering place. We have dedicated parking with over 200 stalls, restroom facilities, a stage that supports live music performances daily, and ample seating for our patrons.
Seasonal events such as our Harvest Halloween Celebration, Berry Celebration, and Annual Farm to Table Food Drive seek to enrich our community and provide a truly unique shopping experience for our loyal customer base.
The Olympia Farmers Market promotes several food access programs such as WIC, Small Steps, Fresh Bucks, and EBT. Healthy, organic, food availability is a fundamental value that brings our customers and our vendors together to exchange goods and ideas. We feel that it is critical to provide this education and access to all members of our community and we are proud to continue to grow in these efforts.
The Olympia Farmers Market is unique in that it is one of the only vendor-owned and operated farmers markets in The State of Washington. The market is governed by a volunteer board of directors comprised of member-vendors and is funded primarily through vendor fees.
The Olympia Farmers Market seeks a Community Outreach Coordinator to plan and implement our seasonal events, execute our marketing plan, and collaborate with community partners to share our vision. We seek an individual that shares in our passion for farmers markets, small scale local agriculture, healthy food access, and community enrichment. The ideal candidate will be able to communicate effectively and develop meaningful relationships with customers, vendors, staff, board and community partners.
We value diverse perspectives and life experiences. We employ and serve people of all backgrounds including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and veterans.
Marketing and Events:
· Oversee development and implementation of Marketing Plan.
· Monitor and update market information on website and social media.
· Coordinate with marketing contractors to develop and approve content.
· Oversee development and implementation of Events Plan.
· Develop and maintain cooperative relationships with community partners, educational institutions, food-related groups.
· Monitor policy developments at the local, state and national levels and serve as an advocate as necessary.
· Maintain current contact list of community partners.
· Attend regular staff meetings.
· Provide regular reports to Operations Manager regarding grant fulfillment and other activities.
· Attend and participate in necessary board committee meetings.
· Cross train in all duties needed to maintain daily operations in the absence of other staff.
The Community Outreach Coordinator reports directly to The Operations Manager. The Operations Manager will conduct an annual review by December 15th each year. This review will include any needed adjustments in the positions job description, salary and/or bonus changes. The evaluation shall be based upon the duties as listed above for the previous season’s performance.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills along with technical proficiency.
· Outstanding customer service ethic to offer high quality experience to vendors, sponsors, volunteers, and other community partners.
· Exceptional cross-group collaboration skills - works across many teams successfully.
· Strategic thinker who aligns Olympia Farmers Market’s brand and voice with our purpose and values.
· Ability to resolve conflicts quickly and satisfactorily.
· Comfortable with Microsoft Office and Google Docs.
· Knowledge of basic web design and social media.
· Basic budgeting and accounting skills.
· Ability to learn new ideas and methods quickly.
· Solid sense of initiative and drive, bias toward action, and passion for getting it right.
· Highly organized and prioritizes projects with competing demands.
· Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task.
The Community Outreach Coordinator will be compensated $20 per hour with the potential for pay increases and bonuses.
30 hours per week average. This is a year-round position, but hours and demand are flexible, varying by season and adjusting to the person taking this role. Weekends hours will be required year-round. Occasional evening meetings and events may be required.
Apply by March 15th by sending a resume, references, and a cover letter explaining your qualifications and why you are passionate about farmers markets and local small-scale agriculture, to email@example.com. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.